Barrackville, West Virginia (WV), in Marion County, was founded in 1767 by William “Indian Billy” Ice and named for settler John Barrack, though the community was not incorporated until 1968. The town became a center for coal production in the early 1900s, and in 1910 the Jamison Coal & Coke Co. developed a coal camp adjacent to the community to house its miners. In 1925, thirty-three miners were killed in an explosion in the Bethlem Steel No. 41 mine.
Lodging near Barrackville, West Virginia
Parks & Public Recreation
Built in 1853, the second-oldest covered bridge in West Virginia, the Barrackville Covered Bridge, crosses Buffalo Creek, a tributary of the West Fork River.
The community is located two miles northwest of Fairmont, West Virginia, the county seat, and six miles east of Farmington, West Virginia.
Map of Barrackville, West Virginia
The community is located in the Monongahela Valley Region of northern West Virginia.