Fort Van Meter is a small, two-story, stone blockhouse, approximately 20 feet wide and 14 feet deep. It is outfitted with gun slots on both levels and capped by a gabled wood-shingle roof. The fort was built in 1754 at the beginning of the French & Indian War as part of an effort by the Virginia Colony to protect settlers in the Allegheny Mountains from raids. Most forts of that period were built of wood and have not survived. Isaac Van Meter owned the land and helped build and maintain the fort.
Nomination Form PDF