National Historic Landmark -- Harrisville, West Virginia -- Ritchie County
Harrisville and the Harrisville Grade School were named to honor Thomas M. Harris, who donated the land on which both institutions were established. The large, vernacular brick-and-stone building was built in 1878 and included with four classrooms in which eight grades were taught. Instruction was extended through high school in the late 1800s. In 1904, an expansion changed the orientation of the entrance and saw the addition of two classrooms, an auditorium, and restrooms. A medical doctor by trade, Harris served as a Union officer in the Civil War and attaining the rank of General by 1865. Since its purchase by the Ritchie County Historical Museum in 1995, the property has become the General Thomas M. Harris School Museum. The Ritchie County Chamber of Commerce leases offices on the ground floor.
Nomination Form PDF