Peter Light came to Berkeley County in 1770 and purchased a mill and log home here, both built at an unknown earlier date. Soon after he acquired 1,500 adjoining acres, built a new home, and named it Lick Run Plantation. Clustered near the mill in a five-acre area, Light built a large home in the Georgian architectural style using coarsed rubble stone. A separate stone kitchen building, a stone barn, and a stone corn crib, have also survived and stand intact today. When Light died in 1810, his family sold the property to Major Henry Bedinger, who built the current standing mill in 1816. The mill was so successful that it spurred the growth of the community, which was named “Bedinger” in his honor.
Nomination Form PDF