In 1852, the Pogue family settled on 44 acres and established a farm. Two years later, they built a two story Federal home and a spring house, which made good use of the natural springs. Steel baron William Warfield Holloway purchased the property in 1917 and expanded the house into an Italian Renaissance villa designed by architect William Wayne, of Pennsylvania, and built by engineer Bates Wood. The estate became known as Mount Saint Joseph in 1954 when Mother Agnes Regina Roth purchased the property as a motherhouse to accommodate up to 300 sisters, members of the order of the Congregation of Saint Joseph. The Holloway home now provides offices for the Saint Joseph Center.