Though originally built as a brick Italianate home in the 1860s, William Post purchased the property in 1891 and began Neoclassical Revival renovations under the direction of architect Draper Hughes. Much of the exterior was refaced with stone and a castellated three-story tower was added. During the 1930s, Post opened a dairy toward the rear of the property, and several buildings and a guest cottage remain from that period. Post was president of Traders National Bank of Buckhannon and served as a West Virginia senator. The Post family lost the property during a 1930s bankruptcy but repurchased it and retained the home until 1991 when it was sold to Juanita Reger, who planned to use the property as a bed-and-breakfast inn.
Nomination Form PDF