James Campbell and his father, an Irish immigrant, settled in Berkeley County in 1762. The younger Campbell quickly became a successful businessman and, in 1789, built a stone store and trading post — the only remaining trading post building of that era in Berkeley County. Campbell not only sold supplies for the Revolutionary War effort but also served in the Colonial Army and the local Virginia Militia. He later became the Sheriff of Berkeley County. By 1799 Campell could afford to build his mansion, named Campbellton, next door to his store. Constructed of coursed rubble limestone, the large home is Georgian style with a Federal influence. The home and store have received restorative attention and are being used as a private residence. Gerrardstown, West Virginia, is located on highway WV-51 southwest of Martinsburg, West Virginia.
National Register Nomination PDF