The Carnegie Public Library, a Beaux Arts building, was funded with a $35,000 gift from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie on land in government square that was donated by the City of Huntington. In 1902 Huntington architect James B. Stewart designed its grand facade with a central pavilion framed by Ionic columns. In 1930 an interior renovation directed by Huntington architect Albert F. Tucker updated functionality while retaining the original large windows and double-oak stairways. When built, the Carnegie Public Library was one of the largest buildings in the Huntington, which the boasted 10,000 residents. In 1980 a new library building was built across the street. The Carnegie Public Library is currently the home of Huntington Junior College.