Also known as the Potomac Power Plant, the Hydroelectric Power Plant at Harpers Ferry National Historical Park harnessed the power of the Potomac River. The plant has powered the U. S. government’s 1799 musket factory and arsenal, a 1834 tilt-hammer shop, and a 1853 rolling mill. After the Civil War, the federal government sold the facility. In 1899, the Harpers Ferry Electric Light and Power Co., which powered a paper mill, provided the electricity for streetlights in the Town of Harpers Ferry and the Town of Brunswick, Maryland. The mill and the powerhouse were upgraded in 1925 following a fire. Although transfered through several sales, the facility continued to produce through 1991.
Nomination Form PDF