In Brooke County, near Wellsburg, West Virginia, John Fowler acquired property along the Washington Pike, a toll road the led from Wellsburg to Washington, Pa., and in 1848 built an inn with 16 guest rooms to accommodate cattle drovers. The property includes a small log home built in 1820 by Richard Starr. It was a busy hub, and, as it grew, other businesses sprang up on the property, including a grist mill, a drug store and saloon, and a wagon and buggy repair shop. The area became known as “Fowlerstown.” The inn added a general merchandise store and hosted a post office until 1938. In the 1967 the property was reopened as a restaurant, and in 1987 was reopened as an inn, the Drover’s Inn Restaurant & Tavern.