Opequon Golf Club

National Historic Landmark — Martinsburg, West VirginiaBerkeley County

Named for nearby Opequon Creek, which in a native tongue translates as “frothing white stream,” the Opequon Golf Club opened in 1922 and provided high-style recreation and a social meeting place for the Martinsburg political and business elite. The clubhouse was designed by Washington architects Clarence Lowell Harding and Alexander Finley in a bungelow variation of the Adirondack Lodge style, which was popularized for resort facilities. The clubhouse continues to serve as a country club social center as part of Stonebridge Golf Club.

 

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on TumblrEmail this to someone