In 1790, a man named “Grant” built the first iron furnace west of the Allegheny Mountains here along Kings Creek, a tributary of the Ohio River, on land owned by James Campbell. Peter Tarr and his business partner, James Rankin, purchased the land and furnace in 1801 and expanded its iron production to two tons a day. The furnace primarily produced household utensils, including grates, skillets, and kettles, but during the Battle of Lake Erie, in 1812, Tarr and Rankin produced cannon balls for use by Commodore Perry’s fleet. The furnace operated commercially for about 30 years. It was reconstructed in 1968 with stone from the site.