National Historic Landmark -- Westover, West Virginia -- Monogalia County
The Byzantine Revival architecture and yellow brick walls of Saint Mary's Orthodox Church are capped with a goldleaf spherical dome and eastern crosses, singular among church towers elsewhere in northern West Virginia. Designed by an unknown architect and built in 1923 as Saint Michael the Archangel Church, Saint Mary's served immigrant families from the western Ukraine and preserved a piece of their religious heritage as Orthodox Catholics. During the Great Depression, church members lost title to the property. It was purchased by local attorney John L. Hatfield, who allowed them to continue holding services in the building and sold it back to the congregation in 1943.