Made of hand-hewn chestnut logs, Stewart's Tavern, built in about 1790, may be the oldest standing structure in the vicinity of Short Gap, West Virginiia. It once served travelers visiting the mill of Oliver Creamer. In the early 1800s, it served as a stagecoach stop and, afterward, a residence. A roadway upgrade in 1988 jeapordized the landmark, so the Frankfort District Historical Society purchased the building and moved it approximately 60 feet to the opposite side of Knobley Road, where it is now a museum. The move provided opportunity to remove late additions and restore the tavern to its original post-frontier condition.
Nomination Form PDF