In 1836 a group of businessmen bought two riverside lots in the bustling port city of Wellsburg, West Virginia, in Brook County, on the Ohio River, and set out to build a public wharf, now a national historic landmark. Simply designed, the Wellsburg Wharf is a 200 foot long section of river bank that descends from Main Street into the water. The bank was cleared and lined with cobblestones. To manage incoming and outgoing freight for the busy port where sternwheelers docked regularly, warehouses were raised at each end. Today the shore above the stones is open lawn and is managed as a park area. Recreational craft now moor at the wharf.