Cain House

Cain House in Saint Marys, WV, Pleasants County, Mid-Ohio Valley Region
Cain House, Saint Marys

National Historic Landmark — Saint Marys, West VirginiaPleasants County

The Cain House was a waterfront inn built  by Alexander Creel in 1850 when Saint Marys was established. Creel was the founder of Saint Marys and a proponent in the formation of Pleasants County. The hotel is located where George Washington landed on his journey down the Ohio River in 1770. The landmark is named for Zachariah Cain, who operated a hotel and tavern in the building from 1875 well into the early 20th century. In 1957, the Masons acquired the Cain House for use as a lodge.

External Links
Nomination Form PDF

Help build our guide to the Cain House and other landmarks.

Would you be interested in helping us provide more information on Cain House or other historic resources in West Virginia? Please let a member of our editorial staff know.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on TumblrEmail this to someone