National Historic Landmark — Circleville, West Virginia — Pendleton County
A 1937 project of the U.S. Works Progress Administration, the Circleville School was raised by architect and builder Ernest C. S. Holmboe, of Clarksburg, West Virginia, to replace a burned school building. It is thought to be the last school project funded by the administration. The 6.5 acre-property includes an athletic field, adjunct buildings, and the roadway that leads from the school to highway WV-28. The school is a two-story Georgian Revival masonry building with an entry pavilion and a towering cupola. It became a social center in Circleville.
Nomination Form PDF