The Confederate Cemetery at Lewisburg, West Virginia, in Greenbrier County, contains the last physical evidence of the bloody Battle of Lewisburg, fought May 23, 1862. It is also one of a handful of cemeteries in West Virginia devoted to rebel soldiers. The bodies of 95 unknown soldiers are interred within its cross-shaped mound, including those who fell in the battles of Lewisburg and at Droop Mountain Battlefield on November 6, 1863. The bodies were first buried in a trench behind the Old Stone Church.
Three known individuals rest with markers — Captain J. W. Brannam (1834-1870), Colonel Mordecia Halstead (1808-1863) and J. W. Rogers (1836-1914).Article by Gwen Hagaman