Architect H. F. Griffin designed this substantial Beaux Arts masterpiece in Fairmont, West Virginia, in 1906 for the Masonic Lodge No. 9. A five-story commercial building with a mezzanine, balcony, and a partial sixth floor, its construction by the Brady Construction Company cost $122,000, suitable for a first-class, multi-use office building. Lauded at the time as "fireproof," the temple is built of reinforced concrete and steel on a brick foundation, and it is faced with beige brick and elaborate terra cotta detailing. Nearly 1,000 people toured the building at its public dedication on June 6, 1907. The building has been used for many businesses including a bowling alley, a print shop, a post office, a furniture store, and a bus terminal. Its office space has been used by a business college and medical and other professional service providers.
Nomination Form PDF