The Coal & Coke Railway built this two story Romanesque Revival train depot in 1914 to provide passenger services and management offices. In fact, they started the whole town at the halfway point for a rail line to connect Charleston and Elkins, both main terminals where the Baltimore & Ohio railways linked to major cities. The Town of Gassaway grew quickly because of the railway”s development. The depot was used for passenger and freight service through 1953 and for maintenance services until 1988. The building is an example of early passenger rail stations, rectangular with pavilions extending from the front and back. The ground floor is sandstone with upper walls of red brick and a red ceramic French tile roof.
Nomination Form PDF