Known as "Oakdale," the former residence of Governor Joseph Johnson was built in 1818 and remodeled in 1840 to enhance its Italianate architectural features. Johnson ran a mill and held several political offices, including that of Delegate, Assemblyman, and Congressman. Johnson was the only governor of Virginia who resided west of the Allegheny Mountains in what is now West Virginia. He served from 1851 until 1853. The Johnson home sits at Johnson and Oakdale avenues, both of which were named for the Governor and his residence.
Nomination Form PDF