Lost River General Store

General store at Lost River, WV, Hardy County, Potomac Branches Region
General Store, Lost River, WV

National Historic Landmark — Lost River, West Virginia — Hardy County

The Lost River General Store has met the social and commercial needs of its rural community since its construction in 1898. A wood-frame commercial building with two stories and a covered front porch has since supplied kerosene, coffee, leather, and whiskey. A gas pump was added in about 1910. The building also served as a post office until 1988. In 1979, the Tuscarora Land Co. purchased the building and used it for their offices through 1985, when a crafts cooperative reopened it as a store. The current owners, who have made substantial restorative efforts, operate a cafe and general store.

External Links
Nomination PDF

Help build our guide to the Lost River General Store.

Would you be interested in helping us provide more information on Adaland or other historic resources in West Virginia? Please let a member of our editorial staff know.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on TumblrEmail this to someone