Water from the mineral spring at Pence Springs has long won awards, including that for mineral waters at the 1904 Saint Louis Exposition. Andrew Pence built a hotel which burned and afterward, in 1918, rebuilt a three-story brick hotel in the Georgian and Italian Revival style. The grand resort flourished through the 1920s with a golf caddy house and golf course, springhouse, hotel garage, pavilion ballroom, commercial kitchen, hotel workers dormitory, hotel manager’s/warden’s home, guard house, bottling works. After the resort closed in 1929 and the bottling plant in 1935, the State of West Virginia purchased the hotel property for use as a penitentiary for women which operated for 37 years. The historic district covers about 30 acres of land. After a two-year renovation, the hotel and surrounding 140 acres is the home of Greenbrier Academy for Girls.
Help build our guide: Pence Springs Hotel Historic District.
Would you be interested in helping us provide more information on the Pence Springs Hotel Historic District or other historic resources in West Virginia? Please let a member of our editorial staff know.