Thomas Shephard built a grist mill sometime before 1739 near the Pack Horse Ford, where wagons routinely crossed the Potomac River. The area, first called Mecklenburg, was settled around 1719, but it was renamed Shepherdstown after the Revolutionary War because of the importance of Shepherd's mill to the economic vitality of the community. A brick home was built beside the mill in 1759. The mill operated until 1939. Today, the mill is a private residence though many pieces of original mill equipment are still in place.
Nomination Form PDF