Shepherdstown, West Virginia (WV), a community in Jefferson County, was settled between 1730 and 1734, although its first settlers might have arrived as early as 1719. Chartered in 1762 as Mecklenburg, its name was changed to Shepherd's Town in 1798 to honor its founder, Thomas Shepherd. Its name was consolidated in 1867 as Shepherdstown.
The Shepherdstown National Historic District is renowned as one of the best maintained districts in West Virginia. The campus of Shepherd University accounts for a large part of the town proper. The James Rumsey Monument at Shepherdstown memorializes the inventor's exhibition there of a machine-propelled boat in 1787.
Lodging near Shepherdstown, West Virginia
Parks & Public Recreation
Shepherdstown is situated on the south bank of the Potomac River four miles southwest of Sharpsburg, Maryland, and Antietam National Battlefield. The Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park follows the north side of the river past the town.
Shepherdstown is located at the junction of highways WV-45, WV-230, and WV-480 approximately 10 miles north of Charles Town, West Virginia, 10 miles west of Martinsburg, West Virginia, and 10 miles north of Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
Map of Shepherdstown, West Virginia
Shepherdstown is located in the Eastern Panhandle Region in eastern West Virginia.
Top 10 West Virginia Arts Communities: 2014