Oglebay Park, also known as Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, is municipal park located on 1,650 acres on the outskirts of Wheeling, West Virginia, in Ohio County. In 1926, Earl W. Oglebay deeded his estate, Waddington Farms, to the city of Wheeling for the express purpose of public recreation. The park opened in 1928 when its governing body, the Wheeling Park Commission, was established.
The park was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, and many original buildings, including the Oglebay mansion and the park's greenhouse, remain in use. Others, including its carriage house, have been rebuilt in the style of the original structures. The Oglebay mansion is operated as a museum by the Oglebay Institute.
The park includes gardens and walking trails, 54 cottages, a 271-room lodge, 11 tennis courts, a large outdoor pool, a nine-hole and 18-hole championship golf course, and a par-three golf course.
Other popular park landmarks include the Good Zoo, the Anne Kuchinka Amphitheater, The Schrader Nature Center, a planetarium, a ski slope, Camp Russel, and Schenk Lake, which offers fishing, pedal-boating, and nightly fountain shows in season.
Annual events at the park include Fort Henry Days, the Ohio County Fair, the West Virginia Tennis Open, and the Winter Festival of Lights.
Find out more about Oglebay Park and its website.