The West Virginia Maple Syrup Producers Association has announced two statewide "Maple Syrup Days" to celebrate during the 2018 maple season, according to the W.Va. Department of Agriculture.
On Saturday, February 24, and Saturday, March 17, sixteen sugar shacks and maple operations around the Mountain State will open their doors to the public and retail locations will also proffer maple-themed items for both days.
Despite a mild winter, maple syrup production increased by 33 percent in 2017 in West Virginia, which boasts an estimated 164 million sugar maples in forest areas, according to the department.
“We are seeing gallon production and the number of businesses increase each year. Maple sugar is an emerging crop for West Virginia,” said Kent Leonhardt, commissioner of agriculture.
“If you have never tasted real maple syrup, these are the days for you.”
Rich Flanigan, president of the syrup-producers association, says it appears much syrup will be produced in West Virginia during the upcoming season.
“Having experienced multiple years with challenging weather conditions, the current trend is looking like we may have a good maple season here in the Mountain State,” Flanigan said.
For the interactive map click of Maple Syrup Days events here.
Locations for Maple Days Events
- Family Roots Farm: Wellsburg, West Virginia (only March 17)
- Bowers Maple Farm: Petersburg, West Virginia
- Daniels Maple Syrup: Dawson, West Virginia (only March 17)
- Ronk Family Farm: Alum Creek, West Virginia (only Feb. 24)
- Indian Water Maple Company: New Creek, West Virginia
- Gauley River Maple Works: Summersville, West Virginia (only March 17)
- We Bee Sappin': Wheeling, West Virginia (only March 17)
- Cool Hollow Maple Farm: Sugar Grove, West Virginia
- M&S Maple: Upper Tract, West Virginia
- Frostmore Farm: Dunmore, West Virginia
- Heasley Homestead Maple: Bruceton Mills, West Virginia
- Blue Rock Farm: Mill Creek, West Virginia (only March 17)
- Moonstruck Maple: Brooks, West Virginia (only March 17)
- Cedar Run Farm: Sistersville, West Virginia
- Sweetcreek Sugarworks: Sistersville, West Virginia
- Flanigan Family Maple: Prichard, West Virginia
Other Maple Events & Activities
- Barn with Inn: Wellsburg, West Virginia (Discount lodging March 17)
- Brooke Hills Park: Wellsburg, West Virginia (maple pancake breakfast, indoor market on March 17)
- Zeb's Barky Bites: Wellsburg, West Virginia (Brooks Hills Park on March 17)
- Sweet T’s Bake Shop: Fayetteville, West Virginia (ill feature maple items on menu)
- Landes Ruritan Club: Petersburg, West Virginia (Pancake breakfast March 17)
- Smoke Hole Caverns: Cabins, West Virginia (maple retailer)
- Southside Depot: Grant County
- Chubby’s Diner: Summersville, West Virginia (will feature maple items on menu, retailer maple on March 17)
- West Virginia Maple Festival: Pickens, West Virginia (only March 17)
- Fish Hawk Acres: Buchannan, West Virginia (will feature maple items on menu, retailer maple)
- Wayne County Farmers Co-Op: Wayne, West Virginia (Pancake Breakfast March 17 at Wayne Methodist Church)
- The Custard Stand: Webster Springs, Sutton, Oak Hill, Danville, and Summersville locations.