National Historic Landmark -- Reedsville, West Virginia -- Preston County
In 1802, after serving in the Revolutionary War, Colonel Thomas Brown purchased 578 acres in Preston County and moved his family there. The modest Federal house was built in 1837 by slaves who used locally quarried sandstone. Brown's grandson, Harry B. Stevens, did some of the carving and finishing in the home, which remained in the family until the late 1940s. In 1955, Robert and Anne Decker purchased and restored the homesite.
Nomination Form PDF