The Mullens Historic District exemplifies the way in which many small towns in the coalfields of southern West Virginia grew to provide the civic and commercial needs of many regional coal camps and smaller communities. Mullens began to grow in 1912 as the Virginian Railroad extended its main line into town. Many of its buildings were raised by the Early Brothers Construction Company, the owners of which were the descendants of Confederate General Jubal Anderson Early. The 38-acre district includes 95 contributing buildings.
Nomination Form PDF