The second bank established in Preston County, the Terra Alta Bank was chartered in 1891 and in 1893 its board undertook construction of an Italianate building designed by Gakes Brothers & Sharp, Contractors. The population of Terra Alta was nearly 500 people when the bank opened for business. It was the only bank in Preston County to survive the Great Depression. In 1993, when a new bank building was completed, the Preston County Historical Society purchased the property for $10. The ground floor retains vaults from 1893 and 1920 and is used as exhibit and meeting space by the society.
Nomination Form PDF