National Historic Landmark -- Morgantown, West Virginia -- Monongalia County
The first library building at West Virginia University, Stewart Hall was designed by the Wilson Brothers, of Philadelphia, Pa., in Romanesque Revival style and built by Caldwell & Drake of Parkersburg, West Virginia, in 1902 for just more than $100,000. Amherst sandstone blocks ascend to a gabled central block, an entrance pavilion, and an octagonal tower, that collectively create a monumental presence. In the 1970s the building became an administrative office center for WVU, and its name was changed to Stewart Hall in honor of Irvin Stewart, who served as president of the university from 1946 until 1958.
Nomination Form PDFWest Virginia University: Stewart Hall