Farmington, West Virginia (WV), a community in Marion County, was incorporated in 1896 and was formerly known as Willeyville, Willeytown, and Underwood. The town was so named because of the abundance of farmland in the surrounding valley of Buffalo Creek, a tributary of the Monongahela River. An explosion at the Consolidated Coal Co. mine near Farmington killed 78 miners in 1968.
Lodging near Farmington, West Virginia
The Farmington Disaster
Following the Farmington Disaster, the mine was sealed to help contain further fires and explosions within. Recovery efforts commenced in 1969, and, over the next 10 years, the bodies of 59 miners were extracted. The disaster led to passage of the Federal Coal Mine Health & Safety Act of 1969.
Map of Farmington, West Virginia
Farmington is located in the Monongahela Valley Region in northern West Virginia.