Tunnelton, West Virginia (WV), a community in Preston County, was incorporated in 1907 and so-named for its location at the eastern end of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad tunnel, otherwise known as the Kingwood Tunnel, at Cassady’s Summit, which was then the longest tunnel in the world. Tunnelton was built on land acquired by James C. McGrew, who, perceiving its advantageous situation, built a store there and, in 1858, a large tannery.
Lodging near Tunnelton, West Virginia
Photos of Tunnelton & Vicinity
Tunnelton is located on highway WV-26 approximately nine miles southwest of Kingwood, West Virginia, and seven miles northeast of highway US-50 at Fellowsville, West Virginia.