Williamson, West Virginia (WV), the county seat of Mingo County, was incorporated as a town in 1894 and as a city in 1905. The town was named for its founder, Wallace J. Williamson, who owned most of the land upon which the city is located. The town is situated among hills that overlook the Tug Fork River. Williamson long billed itself as "The Heart of the Billion Dollar Coalfield."
The Red Brick Company, a manufacturer of commercial masonry, established a clay pit along the river in the 1910s and provided much of the brick for which the town is renowned.
Lodging near Williamson, West Virginia
Parks & Public Recreation Facilities
The Buffalo Mountain ATV Trail System, part of the Hatfield-McCoy Trails, travels through the mountains east of Williamson. A popular local landmark, Death Rock overlooks the town and provides a view of the Tug Fork Valley and Kentucky hills.
Photos of Williamson & Vicinity
Williamson is located on highways US-52 and US-119 approximately eight miles southwest of Delbarton, West Virginia, 30 miles southwest of Logan, West Virginia, 30 miles west of Justice, West Virginia, and 50 miles southeast of Fort Gay, West Virginia.
Map of Williamson, West Virginia
Williamson is located in the Hatfield & McCoy Region in southwestern West Virginia.