Marmet, West Virginia (WV), a community on the Kanawha River in Kanawha County, was incorporated in 1921. The community was first named Elizaville in honor of the wife of Leonard Morris, who settled along the river in 1773. It was also known as Browntown, and was then named for Charles Brown, an investor in the local salt industry. The name was changed to Marmet in 1900 and was so-named for the Marmet Coal Company, which began to develop tracts of mineable land in the region in 1899.
Lodging near Marmet, West Virginia
Parks & Recreation
The near reaches of the Kanawha State Forest are located six miles east of Marmet.
Map of Marmet, West Virginia
Marmet is located in the Metro Valley Region in western West Virginia.