Union, WV (West Virginia), the county seat of Monroe County, was settled in 1774 by James Alexander and chartered in 1799. It was named because the site often served as a mustering site for troops during the Border Wars. Its population was 565 at the 2010 census.
History of Union, West Virginia
In 1799, shortly after Monroe County was created, James Alexander offered 25 acres of land, including a lot for a courthouse, which in time became the town of Union. In 1800, the Virginia Assembly passed an act creating the town of Union.
By 1835, the town boasted 400 residents and supported two hotels, two tanneries, a school, two churches, and two physicians. Its location on stagecoach lines helped fuel the region's growth, as did its proximity to several mineral spring resorts, including Sweet Springs, Red Sulphur Springs, and Salt Sulphur Springs. Union was incorporated again by the government of West Virginia in 1868 following the Civil War.
The town retains much of its historic and largely antebellum architecture. The Monroe County Historical Society preserves several historic structures in the town, including the Caperton Law Office, Owen Neel House, Clark-Wisemen House, Ames Clair Hall, and the Old Baptist Church. In recognition of the history and the integrity of its streetscape, the Union Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Lodging near Union, West Virginia
Parks & Public Recreation
Union is located on highway US-219 approximately 16 miles south of Ronceverte, West Virginia, 20 miles south of Lewisburg, West Virginia, 20 miles southwest of Alderson, West Virginia, and 25 miles northeast of Peterstown, West Virginia.
Map of Union, West Virginia
Union is located in the Greenbrier Valley Region in southeastern West Virginia.