Gary, West Virginia (WV), a community on the upper Tug Fork River in McDowell County, was named in honor of Judge E. H. Gary, chairman of United States Steel Corporation. U.S. Steel opened one of the largest coal plants in the world at Gary in 1902. Since the plant closed in the 1990s, the population of the town has dwindled and its economic has degenerated. Many former USS buildings have been renovated and preserved as civic buildings.
Lodging near Gary, West Virginia
Gary is located approximately seven miles south of the county seat at Welch, West Virginia, and 30 miles northwest of Bluefield, West Virginia.
Map of Gary, West Virginia
Gary is located in the Hatfield & McCoy Region in southern West Virginia.