It is located principally in the levels along the river near the mouth of Sliding Hill Creek, a small tributary of the Ohio. Its elevation varies from approximately 540 feet above sea level along the river to 850 feet atop Sliding Hill.
The town was platted on land first owned by Colonel Andrew Waggener, who in 1772 was awarded 4,000 acres in the region by King George III for his services in the French and Indian War.
Hartford was established as a town in 1853, and a coal mine was opened there that same year. Salt extraction commenced in 1856, managed by Connecticut capitalists Morgan Buckley and William Healey, who named the town for Hartford, the capital of Connecticut.
The first post office at Hartford City was opened in 1858, and the community was incorporated ad the Town of Hartford in 1868.
Lodging near Hartford City, West Virginia
Map of Hartford City, West Virginia
Hartford City is located in the Mid-Ohio Valley Region in western West Virginia.