Marlinton, West Virginia (WV), the county seat of Pocahontas County, was settled in 1749 by Stephen Sewell and Jacob Marlin, the first Europeans known to have settled in the valley of the Greenbrier River. The name Marlinton is often pronounced colloquially as if spelled "Marlington." An oak in Marlinton above the mouth of Knapp Creek once marked the corner of lands surveyed by General Andrew Lewis and granted to the Greenbrier Company in 1751.
Lodging near Marlinton, West Virginia
Parks & Public Recreation
The town is located on the Greenbrier River on the flank of the Monongahela National Forest. The Greenbrier River Trail courses through the town, which is part of the Snowshoe Mountain destination area during ski season.
The following parks and public recreation areas are located within 20 miles of Marlinton.
- Watoga State Park
- Seneca State Forest
- Highland Scenic Highway
- Cranberry Wilderness
- Cranberry Glades Botanical Area
- Handley Wildlife Management Area
- Droop Mountain Battlefield State Park
Marlinton is located on highway US-219 approximately 10 miles north of Hillsboro, West Virginia, 30 miles south of Snowshoe, West Virginia, and 45 miles north of Lewisburg, West Virginia.
Map of Marlinton, West Virginia
Marlinton is located in the Allegheny Highlands Region in eastern West Virginia.