Saint Albans, West Virginia (WV), a community on the Kanawha River in northern Kanawha County, was platted in 1816 near the location of Fort Tackett, built in 1786. It was first known as "Philippi" and named after settler Philip Thompson, and was renamed Coalsmouth, as it had developed at the mouth of Coal River. In 1868 it was incorporated as "Kanawha City," though in 1871 its name was changed to Saint Albans, as suggested by a Mr. Parsons, a member of the town council who intended to honor his hometown of Saint Albans, Vermont.
Lodging near Saint Albans, West Virginia
Map of Saint Albans, West Virginia
Saint Albans is located in the Metro Valley Region in western West Virginia.