A national historic landmark near Milton, West Virginia, in Cabell County, the Mud River Covered Bridge built over the Mud River in 1875, the Mud River Covered Bridge became a principal crossing for commerce as Cabell County boomed following the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway. The design of the 112-foot long 14-foot wide wooden bridge advanced the X-Truss design of William Howe, employing iron tie-rod technology by doubling the wood trusses and adding a supporting wooden arch. In 1971 West Virginia Department of Highways added steel-girder underpinning and steel abutments. The bridge remained in use for automobile traffic until 1998 when it was moved to a pond at the Pumpkin Festival Park in Milton where it serves pedestrian traffic.
Nomination Form PDF
Visit our guide to Covered Bridges to find this bridge on a map.