Alderson, West Virginia (WV), a community on the Greenbrier River in Greenbrier and Monroe counties, was settled in 1777 by John Alderson, a frontier missionary for whom the town was named. Here he founded a Baptist seminary that was later moved north to become Alderson-Broaddus College at Philippi, WV. The Federal Reformatory for Women, the first federal prison for women, was established here in 1927. The town is renown for its annual Independence Day festival.
Lodging near Alderson, West Virginia
Parks & Public Recreation
The Alderson Bridge over the Greenbrier River is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The following public recreation areas are located within a drive of approximately 20 miles of the community.
Photos of Alderson & Vicinity
Map of Alderson, West Virginia
Alderson is located in the Greenbrier Valley Region of southern West Virginia.