Jane Lew, West Virginia (WV), a community in Lewis County, was platted in 1835 along Hackers Creek by Lewis Maxwell, a U.S. congressman from 1827 until 1833. The town was incorporated in 1907 and named in honor of Jane Lewis, Maxwell’s mother. The agricultural region around Jane Lew, Hackers Creek, and upper valley of the West Fork River developed rapidly after the Civil War.
A marble works was established at Jane Lew in 1872, and the Clarksburg, Weston & Glenville Railroad completed line from Clarksburg to Jane Lew in 1879.
Lodging at Jane Lew, West Virginia
Parks & Public Recreation
Jacksons Mill, the boyhood home of General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson and site of Jacksons Mill State 4-H Camp, is located three miles southwest of Jane Lew. Other parks and public recreation areas with 20 miles of Jane Lew include the following.
- Watters Smith Memorial State Park
- Stonecoal Lake Wildlife Management Area
- Stonewall Jackson Lake State Park
- Stonewall Jackson Lake Wildlife Management Area
Map of Jane Lew, West Virginia
Jane Lew is located in the Monongahela Valley Region in north-central West Virginia.