Keyser, West Virginia (WV), the county seat of Mineral County, was established in 1811 on the North Branch of the Potomac River at the mouth of New Creek. The town was incorporated in 1874 and named in honor of William Keyser, first vice president of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O). The first settler at Keyser was Patrick McCarthy, for whom the community was previously named "Paddy Town." Its post office, New Creek, was established in 1852 when the B&O was being built through the region. Potomac State College, now a branch of West Virginia University, was established at Keyser in 1901.
Lodging near Keyser, West Virginia
Keyser is located on highway US-220 approximately 25 miles southwest of Ridgeley, West Virginia, 25 miles northwest of Romney, West Virginia, and 20 miles northeast of Elk Garden, West Virginia.
Map of Keyser, West Virginia
Keyser is located in the Potomac Branches Region in eastern West Virginia.