New Martinsville, West Virginia (WV), the county seat of Wetzel County, was chartered as Martinsville in 1838, and the title “New” was added about 1846. The city was named for Presley Martin, the owner of the land upon which it is located. New Martinsville is situated in a flats along the Ohio River upstream of the mouth of Fishing Creek. The Hannibal Locks on the Ohio River are located here at the village of Hannibal, Ohio. Its downtown commercial district has been developed to make use of its historical character.
Lodging near New Martinsville, West Virginia
Parks & Public Recreation
The following public recreation areas are located within a drive of approximately 20 miles of the community.
- Bruce Park
- Hydro Park
- Lewis Wetzel Park
- Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge