Barbour County, West Virginia

Barbour County, West Virginia, Court House at Philippi, Monongahela Valley Region
Court house in Barbour County, West Virginia

Barbour County, in north-central West Virginia (WV), was formed in 1832 from parts of Lewis, Randolph, and Harrison counties. Philippi, its county seat, was chartered in 1844. The county and city were named after Philip Pendleton Barbour, a distinguished jurist of Virginia. The Battle of Philippi was fought in Barbour County in 1861 and was the first land battle between the armies of the Union and Confederacy. Alderson-Broaddus College is located on a hill overlooking Phillipi.

The Tygart Valley River flows northward through the county. The Buckhannon River and Middle Fork River join the Tygart upstream of Philippi. As of the 2010 census, the population of Barbour County was 16,589.

Cities & Towns in Barbour County

Belington, West Virginia
Berryburg, West Virginia
Brownton, West Virginia
Carrolton, West Virginia
Century, West Virginia
Elk City, West Virginia
Galloway, West Virginia
Junior, West Virginia
Kalamazoo, West Virginia
Kasson, West Virginia
Moatsville, West Virginia
Nestorville, West Virginia
Philippi, West Virginia
Tygart Junction, West Virginia
Vannoys Mill, West Virginia
Volga, West Virginia

Parks & Public Recreation Facilities

Audra State Park
Dayton Park (Philippi, WV)
Memorial Park (Philippi, WV)
Pleasant Creek Wildlife Management Area
Teter Creek Wildlife Management Area

Barbour County Historic Landmarks

Adaland (Berryburg, WV)

Regional Information for Barbour County, West Virginia

Further information on lodging, dining, and recreation in Barbour County may be found in our guide to travel in the Monongahela Valley Region in northern West Virginia, in which Barbour County is located.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on TumblrEmail this to someone